Tale Weavers Prompt #6 “Cult”
This week’s prompt is Cults.
This article might help you get started
Somethings to consider
You have been forcefully inducted into a cult
- Were your brought in by a friend or relative or abducted off the street?
- What methods of mind control or coercion does the cult employ?
- What are the tenets of the cult? What are the consequences of disobedience?
- Do the cult members dress in a particular manner? Do they perform specific rituals? Cater to a specific diet? Describe the location, the facility, the people.
- Are you able to escape? How so? Do you eventually succumb?
You have chosen to join a cult either knowingly or unknowingly
- What is your current mental state? What is your current life situation?
- Have you ever seen the leader or is his identity a secret?
- Why did you join? What are the tenets that appealed to you?
- What is life like since you’ve joined? Is it what you wanted/expected?
- Do you help recruit new members? How are new members recruited?
- Are there opportunities for advancement within the hierarchy? Describe the various roles.
- Describe your living quarters and lifestyle since joining the cult.
- Are there any ultimate goals? Any deities? How is death viewed? What about marriage and child-rearing?
- Can you leave?
- Do you experience any problems with outside authorities?
- Are you a force of good? Is your group isolated? Are you a force of evil?
You are a cult leader
- Why did you form the cult?
- How do you recruit members? Do you have specific requirements for joining? (aka members must have blonde hair and blue eyes)
- Describe your belief system. Describe the hierarchy and laws that govern your cult.
- Does your cult employ technology or forbid its use?
- Do you have multiple spouses/lovers? Are your monogamous? Celibate?
- What is your ultimate goal?
- Do you expect that your followers worship you?
- Are their penalties for leaving? What punishments are utilized to ensure obedience if any?
- Do you have any rivals? Are there factions or is it one cohesive unit?
- How do you deal with outside authorities? Nonbelievers?
- Are you an example to your people? Or do you have special privileges?
- Are you a force of good or evil? Have your forsaken society altogether?
- Do you employ shady methods of mind control? Or is membership entirely volitional?
- Do you employ mystical rituals? Or do you rely on science and mathematics?
Alternately you can talk about cult followings surrounding books/authors, television programs, or movies. You can talk about the government or organized religion as well.